Police arrest fiancé of missing Colorado mother

Adjust Comment Print

The fiance of missing Colorado mother Kelsey Berreth was arrested on December 21, as investigators said evidence indicates Berreth is dead.

Patrick Frazee, the fiancé of missing Colorado mother Kelsey Berreth, was arrested for first-degree murder Friday morning, almost one month after Berreth vanished, police said. Couch said Frazee was in the Teller County jail.

Investigators believe Berreth, 29, is dead after going missing almost a month ago.

"She's not the kind that runs off", Berreth's mother said at a police news conference on December 10.

Berreth and Frazee did not live together, according to relatives, and Berreth's daughter has been living Frazee.

The disappearance of the young pilot mystified family and friends and led to national social media seeking any information on her whereabouts. Kelsey Berreth, 29, was last seen on surveillance video entering a Woodland Park grocery store on November 22.

Surveillance video showed her entering the store on Thanksgiving Day with what appears to be the couple's one-year-old daughter in a baby carrier. Frazee had told police that the couple met sometime that afternoon so he could pick up the child.

Berreth has family in that state, Woodland Park Police Chief Miles De Young said.

Police had urged Frazee to speak directly with investigators this week.

More news: Japan to spend $10B on Lockheed Martin fighter jets
More news: Michael Flynn associate charged with illegal lobbying for Turkey
More news: We Could Blow You Away, Liverpool Legend Warns Manchester United

Frazee's attorney, Jeremy Loew, did not immediately return PEOPLE's call and email for comment following Frazee's arrest.

Couch said he could not provide any information about charges.

Berreth's phone did end up in Idaho, De Young confirmed Friday, adding that police are still working to recover it.

The cellphone is key.

The investigation into Berreth's disappearance opened December 2 after her mother, Cheryl, reported her missing. Investigators arrived at the home after 7 a.m. Friday, he said. Police Chief Miles J. De Young said in a statement Sunday that a search of Frazee's property was completed.

Berreth's case began grabbing national headlines two weeks ago after her mother made an emotional plea to the public to help find her. "That's the last time Kelsey was seen", he said.

"Mr. Frazee hopes and prays for Ms. Berreth's return", Loew said that day.

Last week, law enforcement executed a search warrant at Frazee's property.

Frazee has been booked on a charge of first-degree murder and solicitation of first-degree murder, but officials explained it may be about 10 days before he is formally charged, according to Dan May, attorney general for Colorado's 4th Judicial District. He is not expected to go before a judge for arraignment until next week, authorities said.