U.S. shows double standard on Khasoogi disappearance: Russian envoy

Adjust Comment Print

Khashoggi, a dissident Saudi journalist, who wrote for The Washington Post and lived in the USA as legal permanent resident was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. It was the second-such extraordinary search of a site considered under global law to be sovereign Saudi territory after investigators spent hours in the consulate earlier this week.

While members of the crown prince's security team may not report directly to him and may have been led on the mission to Istanbul by other senior intelligence officials, the presence of an autopsy expert and senior figure in the Saudi medical establishment suggests that al-Tubaigy would have been directed only by a high-ranking authority figure.

President Donald Trump says he's spoken to King Salman of Saudi Arabia, who "denies any knowledge of whatever may have happened" to missing Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

So far there is no guarantee that the world will get any proof of Saudi Arabia's account of Khashoggi's death, beyond being asked to take the kingdom's word for it.

While Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was taciturn with reporters Tuesday, saying things like "I don't want to talk about any facts" and "we talked about the importance of the investigation" after his meeting with Saudi leaders, Turkish officials are being much more loquacious about the alleged slaying of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Pompeo will head to Turkey on Wednesday, the BBC said.

Turkish officials reportedly hope on Wednesday to enter the Saudi consul's residence as part of their probe into the journalist's disappearance.

Members of the US Congress, including some of Trump's fellow Republicans, are among the loudest voices in the United States demanding answers and action on Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist who moved to Washington previous year fearing retribution for his critical views.

The president of Turkey said this issue is under his personal control.

Investigators also re-entered the consulate Wednesday night.

More news: Hurricane Michael weakens to tropical storm as it crosses Georgia
More news: Xhaka happy playing for Arsenal boss Emery: He's improving me
More news: Six Palestinians reportedly killed on Gaza border

Until Monday, Riyadh had not allowed Turkish investigators to search the consulate, with reports both sides were at odds over the conditions.

The report by the newspaper Yeni Safak cited what it described as an audio recording of Khashoggi's slaying.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet on Tuesday urged the Governments of Saudi Arabia and Turkey to "reveal everything they know" about the disappearance and a possible extra-judicial killing of the prominent journalist.

Al-Otaibi could be heard on the tape, telling those allegedly torturing Khashoggi: "Do this outside; you're going to get me in trouble", the newspaper reported.

"They are threatening Saudi Arabia to impose sanctions of course, but Saudi Arabia is a partner of the U.S., so of course the treatment is different", Russian Ambassador to Indonesia Lyudmila Georgievna Vorobieva told reporters on Wednesday.

The Saudi government didn't respond to a request for comment. Al-Otaibi left Turkey on Tuesday, Turkish state media reported.

"The president tweeted that in a phone call, the young Saudi leader had "totally denied any knowledge of what took place" - as if that should settle the matter".

Pompeo "also thanked the King for his commitment to supporting a thorough, transparent, and timely investigation of Khashoggi's disappearance", the statement read.

Comments