Sri Lanka captain Dinesh Chandimal charged with ball-tampering by ICC

Adjust Comment Print

The start of day three of the second Test between West Indies and Sri Lanka at the Darren Sammy National Cricket Stadium has been delayed due to a ball change controversy.

ESPNCricinfo reported that near the end of play on Friday the umpires checked on the ball and Gould could be seen asking to see Dhananjaya de Silva's hands.

In protest, Sri Lanka then took to the field two hours late on day three.

Play was set to resume 10.50am local time and Sri Lanka captain Dinesh Chandimal led out his team to the middle, but after further discussions with the umpires the Sri Lanka team began walking back to the boundary.

The umpires took the call to change the ball on Saturday morning and that angered the Sri Lankan team.

"SLC advised the team to take the field to ensure the continuity of the match and wish to commend the decision taken by the team to continue with the game "under protest" to ensure the upholding of the spirit of the game".

The Sri Lankan board sent out a statement defending its players.

The video evidence will be used in the hearing which will also be attended by the match officials as well as the Sri Lankan team management.

More news: US Open: Should Phil Mickelson have been disqualified for penalty?
More news: Wonder Woman 1984 Set Videos Reunite Diana & Steve Trevor
More news: Reaction to Trump-Kim summit

The charge constitutes a breach under Article 2.2.9 of the ICC's code of conduct, which deals with altering the condition of the ball by "unfair" means.

Steve Smith, along with David Warner, was handed a one-year ban from both domestic and worldwide cricket by Cricket Australia while batsman Bancroft was handed a nine-month suspension for their involvement in the incident.

Opening batsman Cameron Bancroft, the player caught on camera applying sandpaper to the ball, was banned for nine months.

They penalized the team before play on Saturday with a change of ball and awarded five runs to the West Indies. The first and only time a match has been forfeited in the history of Test cricket was in 2006, after Pakistan were penalised five runs for ball tampering in the fourth Test against England at The Oval.

Leading by 47 runs after racking up 300 in their first innings at the Darren Sammy Cricket Ground, West Indies reduced the visitors to 34 for one in their second innings at the close, leaving them still in deficit by 13 runs.

Opener Devon Smith fell for 61, having added only eight to his overnight half-century, while wicketkeeper/batsman Shane Dowrich followed up his century in the first Test with 55.

Roston Chase chimed in with 41, but the Windies declined badly after reaching 241 for four, losing their last six wickets for just 59 runs.