Top cop Himanshu Roy kills himself; former ATS chief was battling cancer

Adjust Comment Print

He was also known for investigating several sensational cases in the past - including the 2013 Indian Premier League spot-fixing case. Reports say that Roy was battling cancer and had gone on a long leave on medical grounds.

His death has stunned his colleagues. Apparently, Roy had to undergo blood transfusion every three days as a part of the treatment.

Speaking to newsagency, he said, "Unfortunately he was brought dead to the hospital". Patnaik said he had been in touch with him, as he has been running the Konark Cancer Foundation after retiring from the police force.

"I haven't been able to speak to anyone after hearing the news as it is not sinking in that Roy could commit suicide".

Meanwhile, Maharashtra Governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao and Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis mourned the shocking suicide by Roy. "Roy was a dedicated police officer". Vindu Dara Singh was later released on bail on 3 June 2013 by a Mumbai Court. Under the leadership of Roy, the crime branch arrested Gurunath Meiyappan, the son-in-law of Chennai Super King owner N Srinivasan. Moreover, he arrested software engineer Anees Ansari for allegedly planning to blow up the American School when he was heading the anti-terror squad."He was a very bright officer".

More news: Michael Clarke surprised with Virat Kohli's decision to skip the Afghanistan Test
More news: Consumer prices rebound 0.2% in April on jump in petrol
More news: Turkish President vows to launch more cross-border offensives

These include journalist J. Dey murder case, the judgment in which came last week (May 2) and actress Meenakshi Thapa killing, the verdict in which was pronounced earlier in the day.

The special public prosecutors who worked with Roy in prominent cases such as the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack fondly remembered him.

He was instrumental in solving the brutal murder of lawyer Pallavi Puryakayastha - daughter of an IAS couple at the Center - at her Mumbai home in August 2012. Working with nearly nonexistent leads, Roy was able to nail the crime on Rajan and his associates, so much so that it became the strongest case against the gangster, who was convicted a week ago.

The incident took place in his Malabar Hills residence.