It's a game called the "condom-snorting challenge" and, not unlike other unsafe dares that have swept social media, teenagers have been doing it - for years now. In the condom-snorting challenge, participants are encouraged to inhale a condom through their noses and down their throats, where they grab it and pull it out.
Can we just go back to the ice bucket challenge or something?
Although it's unclear why news of the condom-snorting challenge has resurfaced, it appears to be related to the recent warnings about these types of games. While the shock factor of shoving something up your nose and pulling it out of your mouth might make for a viral video, the risks involved aren't worth any number of likes and views. So, that's what we try to share, " Stephen Enriquez, a state education specialist in San Antonio, told Fox affiliate KABB. Condom snorting can also block your breathing and cause you to choke, especially since the prophylactic is much larger than a nostril, according to Bruce Y. Lee, an associate professor of worldwide health at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, in a Forbes column. The report also cites an article from 2013, which says that one of the most alarming risks of inhaling a condom is the possibility that it goes down the wrong pipe, and end up to your lungs. In addition, it could "cause an allergic reaction, or result in an infection".More news: John Isner rallies past Alexander Zverev in Miami Open final
More news: Chinese space station expected to crash back to Earth this weekend
More news: Pochettino unclear over whether Kane might return against Chelsea
There is a new internet challenge that has some parents on alert and just about everyone asking questions.
In fact, most of the discussion on social media seems to be filled with people who are confused about why the "condom challenge" might be a thing - not people who are actually doing it. "So with these untrained people putting something up the nose, it's highly likely that for every one that you see on social media, there are probably a lot of kids who have tried it and either almost choked or caused bleeding". Eventually YouTube started flagging videos that showed up regarding the challenge.
There were 39 such reported cases involving teenagers in 2016.