David Warner accepts Cricket Australia sanctions over ball tampering

Adjust Comment Print

As Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft weigh up challenging their lengthy bans from the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal, Waugh has deflected criticism of officials for not doing enough to discourage poor behaviour in the side.

Bancroft was caught on cameras applying sandpaper to the ball during the third day's play of the Newlands Test against South Africa.

Smith and Warner were both aware of the scheme and their bans have been handed out by Cricket Australia.

"At the end of the day as a past player and as a former captain I was obviously quite shocked to see what actually took place out there on the field".

In a recent tweet, Warner fully accepted all the sanctions imposed on him by CA and apologized to his fans and followers.

After Warner broke down into tears during an emotional media conference last Saturday, the former vice-captain noted that he was mulling his decision whether to appeal Cricket Australia's sanctions. I think the reaction back in Australia was as big as it was because the Australian public felt that the Australians players hadn't played the game in a fair way.

Klinger sent a simple WhatsApp message to the Australian opener: "thinking of you, mate".

There had been some speculation as to whether Smith will appeal the sanction that prevents him from playing global or domestic cricket for a period of 12 months - the same David Warner - and precludes him from holding any leadership position in the national set-up for a further 12 months.

More news: NCAA TOURNAMENT: Michigan pushes past Loyola to reach championship game
More news: Huawei won't give up on the U.S. market, despite 'groundless suspicions'
More news: Chicago Cubs' Ian Happ Homers On First Pitch Of MLB Season

"So, yes, there are grey areas but I think Cricket Australia have gone a long way to saying none of it is acceptable".

Warner was banned from all worldwide cricket and Australia domestic matches, for 12 months and has been barred from holding any leadership position within the national team set up in the future.

Ponting said that he understood the disappointment of the general Australian public as they have always looked up to their cricket team in a different manner.

All three have now accepted the sanctions handed down by Cricket Australia.

According to several reports, the banned trio could be headed to England to play in the club circuit.

Smith and Bancroft decided not to appeal against their suspensions and Warner followed suit on Thursday, tweeting that he accepts CA's punishment. The most expensive fine has been 100 per cent of a match fee.

"These proposed penalties are disproportionate relative to precedent", he told a press conference.

"We ask that consideration be given to recalibrating the proposed sanction, to consider options such as suspending or reducing part of the sanctions".

Comments