One killed as Kabul bomb explodes near Australian convoy: embassy

Adjust Comment Print

A suicide vehicle bomb targeting a foreign forces convoy rocked eastern Kabul early Friday, killing at least one civilian and injuring four in an area where many expatriates reside, the Afghan interior ministry said.

Another interior ministry spokesperson, Nasrat Rahimi, said that it was not clear if there were foreign casualties following the blast.

Much of the centre of Kabul is already a zone of concrete blast walls, razor wire and police checkpoints, but security has been tightened even further in the wake of the January 27 ambulance attack and another attack on the city's Intercontinental Hotel earlier in the month.

In the meantime, another security official says at least fourteen people were wounded in the explosion.

A six-year-old Afghan girl was reportedly killed in the attack.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

The blast on last Saturday took place in the vicinity of Shash Darak area of the city after a suicide bomber detonated his explosives near the security forces.

More news: Berkshire Hathaway says tax law gives it $29-billion boost
More news: Israel arrests 10 familiy members of Palestinian teen who hit Israeli soldiers
More news: Cincinnati Braces for More Flooding From Ohio River

In a recent interview, the Uzbek Foreign Minister Abdulaziz Kamilov said Uzbekistan was committed to bring peace in neighbouring Afghanistan.

A horse was also badly injured in the blast and had to be shot dead in the street, an AFP reporter at the scene said. They spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing for their own safety.

Kabul has recently seen a spate of large-scale militant attacks by the Taliban and also Daesh, whose affiliate in Afghanistan has grown stronger since it emerged in 2014.

The Taliban claimed the ambulance attack, as well as an attack a week earlier in which militants stormed a luxury hotel in Kabul, killing 22 people, including 14 foreigners, and setting off a 13-hour battle with security forces.

"We are making this offer without preconditions in order to lead to a peace agreement", Ghani said in opening remarks to the conference attended by officials from around 25 countries involved in the so-called Kabul Process.

Separately, the Taliban said Friday they released five of a total of 19 people they say they abducted on Tuesday along the boundary between the southern Kandahar and Uruzgan provinces.

Comments