Queens Man Accused Of Bringing Loaded, Stolen Handgun To JFK Airport

Adjust Comment Print

The flight was one of dozens that were diverted as powerful winds and heavy snow closed runways at some of the busiest airports along the East Coast, including several worldwide long-haul flights.

In a statement, The Port Authority of NY and New Jersey Saturday evening stated that they, along with the FAA, are "limiting some flights into JFK" and all global arrivals into the airport's Terminal 1.

The wing tip of a China Southern 777 plane struck the tail end of a Kuwait Airways 777, causing damage to both aircrafts, the union representing Port Authority police officers said Saturday. Port Authority officials said no injuries were reported and that all passengers were able to safely disembark, NBC reported.

The China Southern flight was being towed when the planes collided shortly after midnight, the FAA said.

It all "resulted in terminal operators and airlines experiencing delays in getting planes and their passengers into their gates", according to the statement. On Twitter, Kuwait Airways said their plane was parked at the time.

The Port Authority of NY and New Jersey has operated the airport for just over a decade, and is trying to attract more airlines to Stewart.

More news: January starts with wolf supermoon, ends with supermoon lunar eclipse
More news: Texas girls reported missing; Amber Alert issued
More news: Trump aide Stephen Miller rips Wolff book as 'grotesque work of fiction'

The airline added that it was cooperating with NY authorities to investigate the accident.

The Kuwait Airways passengers were taken to hotels as they waited for alternative flights, the airline said. That plan includes providing portable staircases and buses to deplane passengers on the airfield and bring them to the terminal.

Some frustrated passengers have been waiting since Friday for a flight.

Passengers were leaving the plane after 5 p.m. ET using outdoor stairs, according to Manoel Gerlach, a passenger aboard the plane who was travelling with his wife and toddler son.

Another on a different flight added: "Stranded in the airplane for more than 3 hours in #jfkairport waiting for a gate in the "capital of the world" with freezing temperatures outside starting to affect the cabin. Unacceptable customer service!" one of the passengers tweeted.

The Port Authority attributed the delays to a backlog of flights, hundreds of which were cancelled ahead of the storm. One traveler even posted a video of a fellow passenger playing violin at their gate to pass the time.