JFK Airport water pipe break weather-related

Adjust Comment Print

The Port Authority of NY and New Jersey says it will investigate the water pipe break that added to the weather-related delays at Kennedy Airport and will "hold all responsible parties accountable".

Its executive director, Rick Cotton, says investigators want to know why an internal pipe was not weather protected and whether any other failures contributed to the break on Sunday afternoon.

"What happened at JFK Airport is unacceptable, and travelers expect and deserve better", he said in a statement."The Port Authority is committed to providing the highest caliber of service to all travelers and we will hold those responsible accountable for any shortcoming we find".

More delays have been added Sunday to the storm-related aftermath the already beleaguered airport is working to recover from.

"Due to a water main break at #JFK Terminal 4 there are flight delays", the airport tweeted Sunday.

More news: White House requests $13bn to build Trump's border wall
More news: Apple share price: All Apple devices affected by processing chip flaw
More news: Trump aide Stephen Miller rips Wolff book as 'grotesque work of fiction'

Passengers faced a fresh headache when a water main break flooded the baggage claim area and Customs hall of Terminal 4 and halted global arrivals. It's not clear how many flights have been affected but the departure board is a sea of red and yellow cancellations and delays. Departures were not impacted.

Pierre, a Staten Island resident, had the bad luck to arrive at Terminal 4 at Kennedy Airport from a trip to Tobago at the exact same time a frozen water pipe burst on the west side of the terminal, sending water cascading through the terminal, forcing a partial evacuation as power and heat went out.

Abrams video showed water on the ground in the arrivals area of the terminal and the chaos as travelers attempted a mass exodus from the airport. A succession of flights had been cancelled and thousands of passengers stranded before the incident, adding to a tense situation in a terminal that had already seen scuffles and hours-long waits at baggage claim to retrieve belongings.

Kuwait Airways flight 118 was involved in a minor collision on the tarmac at New York City's John F Kennedy Airport on Saturday as it prepared to head back to Kuwait City just after midnight on Sunday.