Pinoys in Bali told to remain vigilant as Mt. Agung rumbles

Adjust Comment Print

The volcano in Bali last erupted in 1963, killing more than 1,100 people.

Search and rescue teams on the Island of Bali, Indonesia with Mount Agung in the background.

The indonesian authorities stand ready to divert the aircraft to its destination of Bali, the island's largest tourist destination of Indonesia, where a volcano could erupt at any time, indicated this Wednesday the minister of Transport.

The volcano has been showing increasing activity in the past two weeks after half a century of dormancy.

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, the disaster mitigation agency's spokesperson, said the chances of an eruption were "quite big".

Another volcano, Mount Sinabung, has been erupting sporadically since 2010, sometimes blasting volcanic ash several kilometres into the air and forcing more than 30,000 to evacuate their villages. Host communities were providing food and water, while the central and local governments were providing tents, blankets and other relief.

Australia was also funding surveillance flights over the volcanoes on Ambae and nearby Ambrym island, it added.

More news: How much is the dollar? (September 27 prices)
More news: Roku IPO: Shares up 30 percent in morning trading
More news: Star Trek: Discovery is out and it looks glorious

Authorities said last week that Mount Agung has shown signs of magma rising, forcing them to create a 7.5-mile buffer zone around the mountain where the volcano is located.

More than 134,000 are living in evacuation centers, sleeping on floors and waiting for something to happen. He evacuated with this elderly mother, wife, children and young grandchild to the Swecapura sports arena.

Officials have said that 122,490 people have left in fear and there are 500 makeshift shelters, the government said that they were prepared despite the rise in people evacuating the area.

Mount Agung's eruption ni 1963 was one of the most powerful eruptions ever recorded and resulted in thousands killed.

Bali's Ngurah Rai International Airport is the second-busiest in the country, after Jakarta's main international airport.

"I was very anxious about the situation" said Nyoman Suarta, who lives in a village just outside the danger zone.