Almost 185 Settlers Storm Al-Aqsa Mosque

Adjust Comment Print

Fatah leaders said that Friday prayers, when many Palestinians travel to the Jerusalem holy site, would instead be conducted in public squares in protest and sermons dedicated to the Al-Aqsa Mosque, the venerated Muslim house of worship that sits within the site's compound.

On Friday, three Arab Israelis opened fire on police before fleeing to the nearby Haram al-Sharif compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, where security forces shot them dead.

Palestinian factions have called for marches all over the West Bank on Wednesday in protest against the Israeli security procedures at al-Aqsa mosque.

The imam had finished leading the night prayer when Israeli police attempted to disperse worshippers by force, leaving many injured, some seriously, according to the Palestine's Red Crescent Society.

According to WAFA, Abbas has made several contacts with world powers to discuss the ongoing Jerusalem tension.

The latest round of incitement began last Friday when Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu closed the site after a terror attack killed two police officers and injured a third.

More news: A day on the Tour de France
More news: Berlin to change policy towards Turkey as German citizen is held
More news: Prince George & Princess Charlotte are TOO cute on arrival in Poland

"We will not break the solidarity of the people", said Jamal Abdallah, a Palestinian who now lives in the USA state of Arizona and was planning to visit Al Aqsa, but changed his mind when he was told of the situation.Israel took the highly unusual decision of closing the compound for Friday prayers, triggering anger from Muslims and Jordan, the holy site's custodian. Police said they had been attacked by protesters armed with stones and Molotov cocktails.

Border police and military personnel stood guard in the area to ensure that the prayer didn't evolve into a violent demonstration.

However, Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat stated on Facebook that the decision to place metal detectors at the site was "the right decision [and] necessary to prevent further terrorist activities".

Israel then reopened the compound to Muslim worshippers on Sunday after imposing new security measures, including metal detectors and additional security cameras. The three Israeli Arabs from the northern town of Umm al-Fahm who carried out the attack all held identity cards, allowing them the same freedom of movement as anyone else. "While the families [of the killed officers] are still sitting and mourning, we can't let this just pass", he said.

The fate of the compound, holy to both Jews and Muslims, is an emotional issue and forms the centerpiece of rival Israeli and Palestinian national narratives.

Israeli authorities say almost 50 Israelis have been killed in attacks by Palestinians during the same period. The ruins of the Biblical Jewish Temple are also found within the holy complex.