Vigil for woman shot by Seattle police draws dozens

Adjust Comment Print

The four-minute audio from Sunday's incident opens with the two officers conversing en route to Lyles' apartment about a separate event, two weeks before, in which Lyle was arrested for threatening responding police with a pair of scissors.

Family members told the paper that the woman was several months pregnant and had been struggling with mental-health issues for about a year, according to The Seattle Times.

Lhora Murray, 42, lives in the apartment directly below Lyles and told the Stranger she often heard yelling from the woman's unit and called security multiple times.

He said Seattle Police officers, who were uninjured, administered first aid until the fire department arrived. They discuss a previous interaction Lyles had with law enforcement - and the fact that she was the subject of an "officer safety caution". Monika Williams, Lyles's sister, told the Seattle Times. They said she was concerned that authorities would take her children, one of whom they said has Down syndrome. "I could have taken her down", Williams told the Times.

Audio taken from the officer's dashcam was released by police on Monday morning. Not much is known after that other than the two responding officers felt it necessary to shoot her dead with her children ages 11, 4, and 1, inside the apartment.

More news: New Zealand try new black magic to end US America's Cup spell
More news: Who the Hurricanes could lose in the National Hockey League expansion draft
More news: Hearing scheduled on release of Cosby jury names

"Hey! Get back! Get back!" an officer shouts before gunfire erupts.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray called the situation a "tragedy for all involved" in a statement Sunday afternoon. The officers will be placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation, the police department said in its statement. The victim dialed 911 to report an attempted burglary Sunday (June 18) morning when she was gunned down while her children were in the unit.

As the two officers responded to the woman's fourth-floor apartment near Magnuson Park in northeast Seattle, police say she came at the officers with a knife. The shooting comes just two days after the officer who killed Philando Castile, a black man, in St Paul, Minnesota (and whose final moments was broadcast to the world on Facebook live), was acquitted of manslaughter, sparking protests in cities across the country. "Both officers had to fire their service weapons striking the individual unfortunately it is a fatality".

Seattle has been under a 2012 consent decree with the U.S. Justice Department that resolved allegations of unconstitutional policing. This will be fully investigated.

The shooting is being reviewed by the Seattle Police Department's Force Investigation Team, and its Office of Professional Accountability.