Husband charged with wife's murder as her Fitbit unravels his alibi

Adjust Comment Print

A slew of personal electronic data, including text messages and a Fitbit activity tracker, helped implicate a CT man in the murder of his wife, according to The Hartford Courant newspaper.

He told detectives that she was killed by a home intruder in the U.S. state of CT on 23 December 2015.

Her husband Richard says that his wife was killed by an intruder who also tied him up and assaulted him.

However, says The Guardian, her Fitbit told "a different story".

A CT man accused in his wife's murder might have gotten away with it - if not for the victim's Fitbit fitness tracker and other electronic devices, authorities allege. Further, they discovered that five days after his wife's murder, Dabate tried to cash in on her life insurance of $475,000.

Police arrested Richard Dabate earlier this month and charged him with murder, tampering with evidence and making a false statement.

A man in CT has been charged with the murder of his wife after her Fitbit contradicted his version of events.

More news: Drake To Host The NBA's First-Ever Awards Show - Exciting Details
More news: Thames hits 2 HRs, Perez goes deep Brewers beat Reds 11-7
More news: McDonald's Unveils New Uniforms and People Hate Them

Investigators say physical evidence showed no sign of the struggle described by Mr Dabate.

Police immediately found his story suspicious.

Pennsylvania DA Craig Stedman told the Hartford Courant: "To say it is rare to use Fitbit records would be safe". In January 2016, he withdrew more than NZ$97,000 from an investment account that belonged to his wife.

The Dabate home where Connie Dabate was tracked walking around on her Fitbit an hour after her husband said she was killed. Furthermore, according to the investigators, the woman was quite active that morning on Facebook, browsing and uploading posts at 9:40 am and, respectively, at 9:46 am. Furthermore, his claims that she died as she arrived home from the gym are brought into disrepute in the knowledge that she travelled 1,200ft since returning, after making a 125ft journey from her auto, the Guardian cites from police documents.

The accused is now not in custody after posting a bail of $1m. His trial date is set for 28 April.

According to an arrest report [PDF] obtained by the Hartford Courant, in December 2015, the suspect's husband said he received a notification on his phone that their home's security system alarm had gone off shortly after he left for work, so he returned home at 9 a.m.

Dabate said he crawled upstairs with the chair still attached to his wrist, pushed the panic button on his alarm and called 911. It showed that Connie Dabate was at her local gym until 9.18am.